Hidden archaeological treasures
The original purpose of the Fisherman’s Bastion was defence, as part of the Buda Castle wall. The bastion was named after the Fishermen’s Town lying beneath and when necessary, the fishermen living here defended the tower. Renovation works started in 1899, based on plans by the architect Frigyes Schulek. The bastion was opened to the public on 9 October 1905. One reason the works took so long was the many major archaeological finds at the site, including Gothic and Renaissance tombstones, as well as the sanctuary of a one-time Dominican church. Frigyes Schulek's idea was for the three-stage staircase, the northern and southern bastions, the corridors and the southern bastion yard to form the whole of the structure. He designated the former Telegraph Bastion as the northern tower, while he built the southern one himself. The equestrian statue of the first Hungarian King, Saint Stephen, is located in the courtyard. The statue is the work of Alajos Strobl and the foundation is decorated with reliefs that pay homage to outstanding moments of King Stephen’s reign, such as his coronation. The stone towers represent the seven tribe leaders who led the Magyars when they settled in what is now Hungary. The Fisherman’s Bastion was in need of renovation once again after World War II. This time, the works were led by Frigyes Schulek’s son, János Schulek, but it was only delivered many years later, in 2003.